Thursday, February 10, 2022

Pleated Stashbuster Bag

I don't know about you, but once I have created an item that I really enjoy, I tend to make it over and over. And while I am making that item for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time, I am always scheming about how I could change it up or "tweak" it just a bit for a different look. That brings me to today's blog post.

Recently I shared my Stashbuster Project Bag.
You can find the pattern directions for that right here:


The thought occurred to me that it might be fun to finish this bag with a few modifications for a bit of a different look. So I got busy and started working on Stashbuster Bag #3.


I worked this bag exactly as I did the original Stashbuster Bag up through Round 43. For my yarn I decided to use two strands of Caron Cotton Cakes along with one strand of Loops & Threads Creme Cotton. Additionally my new bag required a pair of hinged rings for the strap (which I have yet to complete), which I was able to purchase on Amazon.

If you would like to make a stashbuster bag as well, modified to look like mine, follow the pattern directions through round 43, and then hop on back over here and continue from this point on.

At the end of round 43 you should have a total of 96 stitches in the round. Before beginning Round 44,  place a stitch marker in stitch 1 and stitch 49. Then continue on to Round 44. The green marker indicates my first stitch of the round and the orange marker indicates my 49th stitch on the opposite end.


Round 44: In this round you will create the chain spaces in which the hinged ring will go through later on.

*[SC 2, CH 2, Skip 2.
SC 4, CH 2, Skip 2.
SC 28, CH 2, Skip 2.
SC 4, CH 2, Skip 2.
SC 2] 
(Your next stitch will be in the marked 49th stitch of the round.)
REPEAT directions above from *[   ] to end. 

Round 45: SC in first stitch and each stitch around. You will also be working a sc over each chain space as well.

At the end of round 45, I completed 2 additional sc stitches and then slip stitched in the next 9 stitches to get to where I wanted to begin my flap closure.

Alternately, you could fasten off at the end of Round 45 and rejoin in the 12th stitch to begin your flap.

Here is what the top edge of your bag will look like at the end of Round 45. Each X indicates where a chain 2 space was made.  Eventually we will fold each end to line those chain spaces up in order to easily insert the hinged purse ring.

Bag Flap

Row 1: SC 26.
Row 2: CH 1, turn. SC 26.
Row 3: CH 1, turn. SC 2 TOG, SC 22, SC 2 TOG. (24)
Row 4: CH 1, turn. SC 24.
Row 5: CH 1, turn. SC 2 TOG, SC 20, SC 2 TOG. (22)
Row 6: CH 1, turn. SC 22.
Row 7: CH 1, turn. SC 2 TOG, SC 18, SC 2 TOG. (20)
Row 8: CH 1, turn. SC 20.
Row 9: CH 1, turn. SC 2 TOG, SC 16, SC 2 TOG. (18) 
Row 10: CH 1, turn. SC 18.
Row 11: CH 1, turn. SC 2 TOG, SC 14, SC 2 TOG. (16)
Row 12: CH 1, turn. SC 16.
Row 13: CH 1, turn. SC 2 TOG, SC 12, SC 2 TOG. (14)
Row 14: CH 1, turn. SC 14.

Row 15: CH 1, turn. SC 2 TOG, SC 4, CH 3, Skip 2 (button hole made), SC 4, SC 2 TOG.  (13)
Row 16: CH 1, turn. (SC 2 TOG)2Xs, SC 1. SC 3 in CH SP, SC 1, (SC 2 TOG)2Xs. (9)
Row 17: CH 1, turn. SC 2 TOG, SC 5, SC 2 TOG. (7)

Without fastening off, work a round of SC along the top edge of the bag. Join to the first stitch (at the end of the button flap). Fasten off, weave in ends.

Finishing:
Lay your bag on a flat surface and fold flap down to locate the front center of your bag where you will attach your barrel button. Thread a large eyed needle with a long strand of coordinating cotton and stitch button in place.

Fold each side edge in to create a "pleat" of sorts and use the CH SPs made at each side edge to help you align your folds. You will place your hinged purse ring through all 4 spaces to gather each edge together.

Although this photo does not show the finished flap, this is how you will align your chain spaces at each end.

The bag portion is now complete and it should look something like this.

Front view:
Side view:

Back view:

To finish my bag I decided to make a thermal stitch handle strap. I followed the pattern directions using this tutorial.


For the sleeve I crocheted 10 rows total (90 sts/row) using HDC for one row followed by SC 3rd LOOP for the next row. Once it was big enough to go around my strap, I slip stitched the sides together for a few stitches, slid my strap through, and then continued to slip stitch the sleeve together until the end.  I wrapped each end about 20 times with a single strand before slipping it onto my hinged purse ring. I'm really excited with how this one turned out.


2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    An American Facebook friend just shared your shawl with a pocket Ravelry post with me as I live in Tasmania Australia and come from Western Australia so she thought I might be interested. I was. It's a lovely pattern and now I am following your blog in my feed reader. Thank you for sharing your excellent patterns, especially your lovely bags. "Hi" from Tasmania :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. I'm glad you are enjoying my Ravelry patterns and my blog.

      Delete