Friday, October 8, 2021

Crochet for Cancer Awareness -2021


There is something about crochet that really brings people together. It just so happens that I came across a truly wonderful charity event to help promote awareness for all types of cancer. 

Like so many others, cancer struck close to home. Several years ago my mother was diagnosed with cancer. It was an unexpected diagnosis, but she was determined to do all that she could to persevere. It didn't come without additional complications following her treatment though, as her radiation and chemotherapy made her bones more brittle and vulnerable to breaking. Between her cancer diagnosis and her passing in January 2021, she experienced three back fractures that I am aware of.

When I learned of this awesome charitable event, it brought back so many memories of loved ones and friends who have suffered from various types of cancer, so I decided I would like to take part. As much as possible, I plan to make as many hats during the month of October to donate to the CR Wood Cancer Center at my hometown hospital in upstate New York. Here are just a few hats that I have made to date:


I made my first hat using Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling yarn, which was some of the leftover yarn I inherited from my mother when she passed earlier this year. It was her absolute favorite yarn to use because it is so soft and easy to work with. Here is an image of my completed hat. 
















Hat #12 - 18 Flossie's Feathers (in honor of my mom)




So far, so good! Lots of beautiful hats for donating and I am really looking forward to dropping them off at our Cancer Center in Glens Falls.

I plan to update my blog regularly to show the hats I have made for this charity event for cancer awareness. If you are interested in taking part in this wonderful crochet endeavor, I encourage you to read more about it on the host blog by Chritine Naugle of Sweet Potato 3.












5 comments:

  1. I love all your hats. So pretty and a great cause to donate to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by and so much for saying so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed with all the hats you were able to create! This warms my heart so much to see, and so many fun color combinations too!

    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I did make a few more but just didn't have a chance to update my blog. I hope to participate again next year and look forward to trying to make even more than I did this time.

      Delete