Monday, July 13, 2020

Peaceful Pocket Wrap

With the success of my Friendship Pocket Wrap design, I decided to make and write up a new pattern that was a bit more beginner friendly. I wanted to make the wrap easier to customize both the length and width for all types of body shapes without having to do a ton of calculating. So my Peaceful Pocket Wrap was born.


I made the pockets first and then constructed the remainder of the wrap from the body center, working to my desired length. Once the body was complete, the side border edges were added. The last round is where the pockets are attached to the short side edges of the body and the tassels were added as a fun embellishment and is completely optional. 

I chose to work the body of the wrap in a solid color because it shows the lovely texture made by the half double crochet and slip stitch combination. For a little contrast, I added some color to the border along each side of the body and used surface slip stitch with the contrasting yarn on the pocket tops. The surface slip stitch is easy to do, but is completely optional. I haven't tried a wrap in a self striping or variegated yarn yet, but I may try that sometime in the future.

A few thoughts before you begin:

    1) Unless you are trying to match the exact finished measurements of my wrap and plan to use the same yarn, gauge is not essential. Use whatever yarn you love and go up one or two hook sizes above the size recommended on the yarn label. Ultimately, this is YOUR wrap, and you should make it using the fiber and hook that best suits you.

    2) I encourage you to use your own height as a guide for the desired length of this wrap. Of course, you should also try it on as it grows to see exactly where you want to end the body. I found that as the wrap becomes heavier, it will stretch a bit as you wear it. I am 5'1" tall, but stopped when the body of my wrap reached 60".

    2) If you measure from the center back at the nape of your neck to where you want your wrap to cover your back, this will be how wide you want your wrap to be when completed. I wanted my wrap to be 20" wide when completed, so I made the center section to 16", to account for the added width of the border along each side of the body.

Click for an immediate download of my PEACEFUL POCKET WRAP.

If you like my Peaceful Pocket Wrap, you may be interested in trying my FRIENDSHIP POCKET WRAP as well.

Happy crocheting, all! I always enjoy seeing your finished photos. 

~Merri

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I hope to make one for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you love the pattern and hope you enjoy it once it has been made. :)

    ReplyDelete